Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Kenya Does not Need a Facebook President

ME THINKS I CAN BE PRESIDENT TO.
A few years back I tried (unsuccessfully) to offer myself for a small position of leadership. Whereas I still maintain that I was the most qualified for the post, (gloating aside) I admittedly lost to a lesser candidate. The experience build my character or so I like to believe in a momentous way. That is why I squirm and shudder in disbelief every time I see another Facebook Presidential candidate announce their presidential aspirations on National television (read Citizen TV).
Whereas i am staunch believer in self-belief, I have this gnawing feeling that something is seriously wrong in the minds of this young people offering themselves for president. Whereas the current constitution removes the hurdle that would have prevented these so called ‘diaper presidential candidates’ I am of the opinion that they should shelve their political ambitions a wee bit longer. Some of these young politicians will ignorantly incapacitate their budding political careers before they even starts.
Kingwa Kamenchu, a graduate student at the distinguished Oxford university thinks that she is has an abundance of passion than anyone else in the country. Well she couldn’t be more deluded, some of us are equally passionate as well.
Before any one even thinks of throwing their hart in the presidential sphere, they should have at least been in the public sphere for a considerable period of time. Only then can the wider Kenyan populace pick at their character in a bid to ensure that it is not only beyond reproach but that that they have the verve that merits the echelons of power in this country.
Abraham Lincoln a conspicuous American president had tried albeit unsuccessfully to offer himself for lower levels of leadership before he finally made president. President Obama had a long history of activism in his home state of Illinois before he became president and finally president.
Whereas I do not have a problem with young men and women going for seats such as; members of parliament, governors or senators I have a colossal problem with those who think that they are the most capable of becoming president. “Who told them that they can climb a tree from the top?
Whereas I acquiesce that at some point I will throw myself into the political circus, I am wiser enough to buffer myself first before I do so. Chinua Achebe aptly described these characters; Kingwa Kamenchu and another whose name I don’t really grasp as those who ‘dance themselves lame before the main dance.’
Besides this ‘Facebook’ presidents are so out of touch with contemporary Kenyan society to that they apparently do not know what Kenyan society wants. Their lack of political foresight will only work to their detriment. They need to venture beyond the comfort of their Facebook friends to truly decipher what Kenyans want. They need to venture beyond Nairobi and know the aspirations of other 46 counties. And they should not give us that bull shi*t that they want to change the status quo. For a man ‘changeth not what he knoweth not.’

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home